Sunday 8 January 2012

"I am over there"

City of Paradox's messages from the author ceased abruptly eight chapters before the end. The last message from Dipere's studies:

Seven sinners ago, I dropped dead. The selkie, speaking through The Camper Who Gave, provided the score for a doorful of the city of yore. The selkie spoke through the reternal voice as if it were her fur perfect, though abandoned were they who gave and plentiful were that which clothed.
This message was particularly notable, seeming almost to have been written by a different author entirely; I've never known Dipere to use such wordplay. This is the first mention of any being known as "the selkie," as well as the last mention of "The Camper Who Gave," including in the fiction, itself.

The last page of the novel is blank, save for four words in small print at the page's center:

I am over there.
I would be lying if I said I wasn't the least bit intrigued, if not a little uneasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment